Deleting your Twitter account is easy. And when privacy is of primary concern, the best way to go about it is to end it.
Here’s what you need to know.
- Log in to your Twitter account
- Head over to Account Settings
- Therein you will see Deactivate my account
- Upon deactivation, a message “Is this goodbye?” will pop up
- Read through the information presented therein (just to be sure)
- Click on Deactivate @username
- Type in your password on the following screen
- Hit confirm
- On mobile (Android and iOS), go to Settings and Privacy> Account> Deactivate your account. Then follow steps 7 and 8.
You have successfully deleted your Twitter account.
Reasons for deleting your Twitter account
Since social media has transformed the way our species communicate, Twitter lets you connect and engage with anyone from anywhere. You can converse, debate and express opinions but it can go downhill, if you are someone who become invested in controversial topics or political discussions.
This can put you into the cross-hairs of hackers, surveillance agencies and cyberbullies/ online harassment. The best bet here is to delete your Twitter account.
Other reasons include, being addicted which in turn takes too much of your valuable time or you become overwhelmed by the information overload or it could be that you simply don’t want Twitter to collect and save your data.
Things to keep in mind
When deleting your Twitter account, following things needs to be borne in mind.
- Following the steps above does not instantly delete your information from Twitter.
- Your data is stored for 30 days before it is permanently erased from records.
- If you were to log back in within the stipulated time frame your deletion request will be canceled.
- If you just want to change your username, you can do so from “Account Settings”.
- Make sure you change your username and email address before calling it quits. Should you decide to create a new account with the same email and username, this way you will be able to.
- If you are someone who may have difficult time parting with Twitter, you can always download the copy of data AKA your data archive.
How to access your Twitter archive?
Downloading twitter archive is basically the screenshot of your entire twitter activity. Activity ranging from your first tweet to the all the other information such as likes, retweets, replies, etc. here’s how you can archive your twitter data.
- On the Account settings page, hit more (three dots) then Settings and privacy on the menu
- You will find under Account section, the option to archive data by clicking Your Twitter Data.
- Now you will be asked to confirm the request by entering your Twitter password. Remember, if you have slated your account for deletion, it will be too late by now. So make sure you archive data before proceeding with the deletion.
- Click on Download your Twitter data and press Confirm
- Now hit the Request data button and you are all set! If the account is connected to the Periscope service, you will have the opportunity to even download data from there as well.
- When it’s ready to download, an email will be sent to your address. Here you can download data by clicking the download button.
(And) that’s all she wrote.