Amazon is one of those companies that makes it highly annoying to close your Amazon account. Not anymore.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Amazon homepage.
- Scroll down to the footer of the page.
- Click on Help.
- You will see Browse Help Topics.
- Select Need More Help> Contact Us.
- Four topics will be presented to you. Choose Prime or Something else.
- On the same page, you will be asked to select from a drop down list under Tell us more about your issue> Login and security.
- This will lead to yet another drop down menu. Here select “Close my account”.
- Although, the closing process is far from over.
- Now choose the option to contact their support team because selecting the option above does not conclude your account as with other apps/ web services.
- You can select from either E-mail, Phone or Chat.
- Choose whichever option you may, the best option is Chat.
- Their representatives are very responsive. After having stated your intent on closing your account, you will get an email telling you that your account will be closed within two business days.
(And) that’s all she wrote.
Why is there a need for closing your Amazon account?
The reasons could be varying but the most common one is protecting your financial data. Since Amazon houses your financial information in its database and for any hacker or cyber-criminal it can prove to be a jackpot which if someone were to get their hands on your data.
Furthermore, Amazon is known for questionable business practices and HR policies.
Things to bear in mind when closing your Amazon account
- You will no longer have access to Amazon Music, Amazon Drive, Prime Photos and Amazon App-store purchases.
- You will no longer have access to your reviews, images and discussion posts as a customer.
- Account history will be erased and information such as credit card information and past orders will be unavailable.
- Returns or refunds (where applicable) will not be processed on orders where the account has been closed.
- No other Amazon domain whatsoever will be accessible via your Amazon.com log in.
- Any Amazon Gift Card or promotional credit balance will also be no longer within grasps.
So make sure you have clear idea of everything when you aim to proceed with account closure.
If it is simply modifying your account settings, it can be easily done without having the need to close your Amazon account.
For updating your email address or removal of a payment method, visit Change Your Account Settings.
In the case, where you want to want to cancel your subscriptions with Amazon, do the following:
- Go to Your Memberships and Subscriptions.
- Choose Manage Subscription against the service which you’d like to cancel.
- Hit End Subscription to confirm and you have successfully canceled your desired subscription.